Lesson 1: Mother-in-law's tongue

We have this awkward skinny bit of garden next to the driveway, which gets beaten by the harsh sun and wind.  We find this area of the garden also fills up with leaves every couple of days.

In my plight, to try and learn something about succulents my friend Stephanie suggested I try Mother-in-law's tongue as it was hard to kill and that her son had just ripped out a chuck of it before I arrived.

She tells me if I kill it, there is plenty more where that came from!

Ok for you serious folk - Sansevieria trifasciata is commonly called "mother-in-law's tongue", "Saint George's sword" or "snake plant", because of the shape and sharp margins of its leaves. It is also known as the "viper's bowstring hemp", because it is one of the sources for plant fibers used to make bowstrings.

Comments

Popular Posts